31/1001 - bookstore finds and Bradburian reading plan
One of my kids had the brilliant idea to celebrate President's Day by visiting our favorite used bookstores. Thanks for being a force for good in the world, Madge!
•The Philosophy of Modern Art by Herbert Read
•The Selected Letters of John Keats
•The Collected Poems of Rupert Brook - the former owner wrote, "Gorgeous!!" and "Great!" in red felt pen above at least two poems, which convinced me to bring it home - yeah, Marginalia!
•The Book of the City of Ladies by Christine de Pizan
•The Shock of Recognition, edited by Edmund Wilson - I'm really looking forward to reading some of this; the subtitle is "The development of Literature in the United States recorded by the man who made it."
•Essays and Introductions by W.B. Yeats
•On Moral Fiction by John Gardner
There are more collection of essays here than I typically buy. Since starting this 1001 Bradburian Nights reading plan, I've found that I really, really enjoy reading essays on pretty much anything. The form is exactly what I've been craving, so to speak, but had no idea I wanted until I started reading them daily.
"Make no mistake: modern poetry, at its best, is superb. Enormous emotion can be packed into properly allusive, taut, freshly visioned, freshly phrased poetry. It must not be so allusive that it becomes a mere logo machine puzzle, but it may speak it's own filed-precise idiom, to a limited audience, in such a way as to broaden not only the boundaries of life, but actualize life there." - Clement Wood
Short story: The Brave Little Tailor, a Grimm Fairy-tale
Essay: the first essay in Verlyn Flieger's book Splintered Light, on Tolkien's Silmarillion
Poem:
The Linnet
by Ralph Hodgson
They say the world's a sham, and life a lease
Of nightmare nothing nicknamed Time, and we
Ghost voyagers in undiscovered seas
Where fact is feign; mirage, reality:
Where all is vain and vanity is all,
And eyes look out and only know they stare
At conjured coasts whose beacons rise and fall
And vanish with the hopes that feigned them there:
Where sea-shell measures urge a phantom dance
Till fancied pleasurc drowns imagined pain-
Till Death stares madness out of countenance,
And vanity is all and all is vain.
It may be even as my friends allege.
I'm pressed to prove that life iS something more-
And yet a linnet on a hawthorn hedge
Still wants explaining and accounting for.
I want to go to the UK to see and hear the linnet. Yeats mentions it in at least two poems and I've read other early modern poets mention it, too.


Comments
Post a Comment