Salvation - a sonnet

 

Into the churning void and formless dark - 
"Let there be light!" rang out and Light obeyed; 
God spoke and rent the Darkness by a spark;
Chaos was ordered; good was all He made. 
But not for long. By sin, Man rent his soul 
And finds the formless dark is now within. 
Powerless to heal and make himself whole, 
He sinks deeper into the black of sin - 
Until again the God of heaven speaks, 
His Word rending Man’s blinding inner night, 
Ending the havoc Darkness loves to wreak, 
And filling man's soul with His living light: 
No less the power that made all things, to take
Our unmade souls and new creations make.
A brief explanation:

I heard a pastor say in a sermon several months ago that it took no less than
God's almighty creating power - the same power that took 6 days to make all things -
to make us into a new creation. In that moment of salvation, that moment when
we are made new, called forth to eternal life, the same world-making power is at
work in that one soul. I have been thinking about that since and working on this
sonnet, trying to get that image onto paper. I think this is the closest I will get.
The Pacific at sunset, photo by me

Comments

Popular Posts