37/1001
At this rate, I'll finish this reading challenge when I'm dead. I guess there are worse things.
Essay: The Inner Ring and Membership by C.S. Lewis
I'm reading these for a longer piece I have in mind. It was a good to revisit them. They are back-to-back in the The Weight of Glory essay collection. They also connect in my mind with something in that essay. I'm working on articulating it. Hopefully by Friday.
As an aside, writing is so strange. It unlike any other thinking process. I have a big thought, vague and general - like a hunk of raw marble. I can see something there and the only way to get at it is to start trying to form what I think I can see. Hammering, chiseling, a little chip here or a big chunk there - until I have this moment of thinking, "Okay, I think I've released it." And then I hit 'publish' and hope for the best. The feeling of relief is, and I apologize for being graphic but it's truly the closest thing, similar to when you really need to use the bathroom after a long car trip or something. It's like an actual load has been taken off my mind.
Short Story: The Man Who Shot Snapping Turtles by Edmund Wilson
I wasn't super excited about reading this story for no other reason that Edmund Wilson bad mouthed Lord of the Rings when it first came out. Ridiculous, because it was a great short story. Proving even people with bad taste can write good stories. (wink)
Poem:
Today is Ash Wednesday and though my church tradition doesn't celebrate Lent, I still like to hunker down into the why of Christ's coming, living, dying and rising again as much as I can these 40 days. I decided to see if there was a George Herbert poem that would go with this season. Google didn't let me down:
Comments
Post a Comment