42/1001

 Day 42 - Tuesday, March 18th, 2025

Essay: On the Movies, by G.K. Chesterton.

I love reading the always quotable GKC. This made me snicker, though it has nothing to do with his actual point: 
"I have a simple, melodramatic mind; there is nothing lofty or peace-loving about me; and I thoroughly enjoy seeing people knocked down on the stage. I should have no objection to seeing them knocked down in real life, if the people were wisely and thoughtfully selected."

"And that is why some of us feel the presence of something stupid and even barbaric in all this progress and acceleration; because it is but the elongation of one line and the exaggeration of one idea."

Short Story: I am reading Tolkien's The Notion Club Papers for this week's short stories

Poem:

Homage
by Kenneth Fearing
They said to him, "It is a very good thing that you have done,
yes, both good and great, proving this other passage to the
Indies. Marvelous," they said. "Very. But where, Senor, is
the gold?"
They said: "We like it, we admire it very much, don't misunder-
stand us, in fact we think it's almost great. But isn't there,
well, a little too much of this Prince of Denmark? After all,
there is no one quite like you in your lighter vein."
"Astonishing," they said. "Who would have thought you had it in
you, Orville?" They said, "Wilbur, this machine of yours is
is amazing, if it works, and perhaps some day we can use
it to distribute eggs, or to advertise."
And they were good people, too. Decent people.
They did not beat their wives. They went to church. And they kept
the law.


Comments

Popular Posts