46/1001 - Kenneth Roberts, Grimm, and Browning

 Tuesday, April 1, 2025

My pace has slowed way down with this reading plan, but I managed to get it done today.

Essay: Education by Kenneth Robert's

I'd never heard of this author, but he was enjoyable to read. 

Short story: Faithful John from The Complete Grimms

Poem:

I loved this poem. I loved the way she portrays God coming to us through nature, how he " slides down by thrills through all things made." Just lovely.


A Child’s Thought Of God

by Elizabeth Barrett Browning


They say that God lives very high;

  But if you look above the pines

You cannot see our God; and why?


And if you dig down in the mines,

  You never see Him in the gold,

Though from Him all that’s glory shines.


God is so good, He wears a fold

  Of heaven and earth across His face,

Like secrets kept, for love, untold.


But still I feel that His embrace

  Slides down by thrills, through all things made,

Through sight and sound of every place;


As if my tender mother laid

  On my shut lids her kisses’ pressure,

Half waking me at night, and said,

  “Who kissed you through the dark, dear guesser?”

Comments

Popular Posts