Innocence; a narrative poem
Innocence
Yes, love, I read the message that you sent,
But too late. By then they were threatening
To report me. Riot seemed imminent.
And you must understand what that would mean.
I followed protocol just as I ought.
I sent him up the proper channels, and he
Was sent right back. I knew then I was caught
In the heavy net of bureaucracy.
The accusations seemed laughably weak,
Just the envies of power-hungry old men,
But when I asked the plaintiff questions, nothing
He said gave me any solid reason
To throw out their case, though I told them
I could not see any broken law.
I wish I could have had him back again
Under different circumstances. I saw
Great depths in him. He spoke well and was calm,
Without fear or fretfulness, as though
He was at peace with all things and the swarm
Around him of murderous men was no
Concern to him at all.
I said again
I found nothing worth conviction. But blood
Was what they wanted, and would without doubt
Get by any means. They worked up the crowd
To a fevered pitch; the people shouted
For his execution, even as they
Demanded freedom for a murdering thief -
Idiots!
Again, I asked him to say
Why his death alone would content these priests.
I was hoping for a loophole, something
That would help me save him from their schemes,
But he was silent, so I could do nothing.
Then they turned on me, and said it seemed
To them like my refusal to act could be
Labeled treason. I knew I had to bend.
I had no choice. I gave the command
The guards came and took him away, condemned.
And still he was calm, led out like a lamb.
The crowd roared in savage triumph. I turned
And declared my innocence, and they screamed
That his blood would be on them. But I burned
Inside with guilt, and remembered your dream.
I called for a basin - you must believe I did what I could -
And took up the water to wash my soul; He took up the wood.
![]() |
| Pilate Washing His Hands by Joseph Mallord William Turner |

Comments
Post a Comment